Monday, November 5, 2012

My Review of NS2

There is no introduction...

This weekend I obtained a new game from the steam store. This game is called Natural Selection 2.
I've played about 4 hours of it and I can say other than some obvious balancing that needs to be done it's and excellent concept for a game, and a lot of fun to play. The premise of the game is that two opposing forces battle it out in a variety of  indoor facilities typically with a lot of twists, turns and tight spaces. Humans use guns from a first person perspective, and the Kharaa have a variety of different species to play from large rhino like  creatures to flying spike shooting creatures also from a first person perspective. What really makes the game interesting though is that one person from each team plays from a real time strategy point of view. It's basically a birds eye view in which you manage infrastructure, and the soldiers who are fighting. Only this time the soldiers, and aliens are real people. Which puts two very different kinds of games together. From what I've seen and the effort I assume will be applied to updating and making the game better, I give this game a current 7.5/10 but as I expect it will be a 9/10 by the time it's polished. The only thing that takes away from this game for me is the obvious rip off of Starcraft, and the current connection issues I'm experiencing with the servers I've been joining. Other wise check it out, it's 25$ on steam, or 75$ for a four pack of the game for you and your friends. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Trevor!
    I am commenting in this space as this is one of your better blogs. I like that you changed "video games" into "interactive adventures". It really does have a better ring to it and also implies that you are a mature gaming individual who enjoys the challenge of a sophisticated and intelligently designed game, as opposed to an inactive, bored kid who is addicted to video games. All in the delivery!
    I like the pictures you included on this post.

    Your posts are difficult to follow at times. I know you do this purposely; however, you need to remember that your teacher is looking for articulate thoughts and clear writing. Your style is a bit too conversational and it detracts from what you intend to say.

    I read all your posts and I assume that some days you are more inspired than others.

    What is the attraction of online gaming (interactive)? Is it a space where you interact with many others playing the same game? Do you have to be online at the same time? Do you compete in real time. These questions might not be applicable to the games you wrote about but I am just generally curious. I know many people spend significant periods of time participating. With technology and the availability of so many games, it must be quite a community!

    I play a bit of Bewjeweld Blitz and call it a day. My high score though is awesome! :) M. Morton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online gaming is as you said an affective way of meeting people with similar interests whilst carrying out an open world adventure in a land of fantasy, or future depending on the MMORPG or massively multiplayer online role playing game. I just read this but I will be sure to re-orient myself and get a couple more game reviews done.

      Delete
  2. I like the notion of a massive multiplayer online role playing game. I would think you could be selectively low key and hide or pit bullishly aggressive in your strategy. :) Ms. Morton

    ReplyDelete